Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Edible Art!

Happy Sunday!   I’m really excited about some cakes I have to share with you over the next few weeks and about some up-coming events!  But, first, this week’s blog…. 

I got to design some sweet treats for Robin's Gallery, an art gallery and home décor shop owned by my friends, David and Jessica.  They were celebrating 32 years in business!  And you can’t celebrate without dessert! 

For their open house event, I made an artist’s palette cake, complete with a cookie paint brush, and a couple of dozen artist’s palette sugar cookies too.


For the cake, I started with a round cake and cut it down a little bit to get the shape more like an actual palette (I think it looks a little like an upside down pac-man at this stage, ha!)  


Then I covered the cake in "wood grain" fondant to make it look even more realistic.  


I finished off the masterpiece by adding some blobs of “paint” (colored fondant) and the paint brush (sugar cookie).



For the cookies, I found a great distributor for high quality cookies cutters.  Look at these beauties...they are hardcore!




I made a double batch of my favorite sugar cookie recipe (sorry, this one is a secret!  It's that good, I can't let just anyone searching the web get a hold of it!). 



Then I used the same cookie cutter to cut the design out of fondant, and laid that on top of each cookie.



Finally, each cookie got its blobs of "paint" too.


 I took a ton of pics of the cakes and cookies, and some of them turned out really well, so you get to see them from everyone possible angle!









You can also order these goodies for one of Robin’s Gallery’s Create It! parties.  Contact David or Jessica for more details!  And tell ‘em I sent ya!

Happy baking this week!

3 comments:

  1. These look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I randomly came across your blog looking for palette shaped cookie cutters....That woodgrain on your cake is unbelievable!! I am a scenic artist and I often have to do faux woodgrain with paint and even THAT can be tough. Bravo!!!

    Best,
    Tisha Paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. I randomly came across your blog looking for palette shaped cookie cutters....That woodgrain on your cake is unbelievable!! I am a scenic artist and I often have to do faux woodgrain with paint and even THAT can be tough. Bravo!!!

    Best,
    Tisha Paige

    ReplyDelete