Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Recipe of the Month: Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

Happy Sunday...well Monday actually!  I had my blog done yesterday, but the pictures took FOREVER to upload, as in 36 hours forever!  But better late than never, right?
This month’s recipe sounds bizarre at first, but please let me explain before you totally write me off as a crazy bacon fanatic (which I am!).
Bacon has been becoming more and more popular over the last year or so, especially now in desserts.  bread pudding with maple bacon glaze, candied bacon, chocolate covered bacon, chocolate bacon ice cream, etc…..  
I was introduced to candied bacon a week or so ago and absolutely fell in love!  It was sweet, salty, smoky, crisp, crunchy….absolute deliciousness!  So, when I found a recipe for Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies, I couldn’t wait to try it!
I decided to use my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe instead of the one from the recipe, since mine is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever (in my opinion anyway, which since this my blog is really all that matters, right?)
But, first I had to make the candied bacon.  The process is fairly simple, but it does take a little while.  You start by placing the bacon on a cooling rack in an aluminum foil-lined cookie sheet.  Then sprinkle the bacon with about ½ cup of brown sugar, making sure the sugar is distributed evenly.

Bake the sugar coated bacon for about 30-40 minutes at 350, until crisp.  Watch it carefully toward the end, as the sugar causes it burn more quickly.
You can see why the aluminum foil is important.  The sugar and bacon grease make a mess!

Then prepare the Chocolate Chip Cookies per the recipe, stirring in the chopped Candied Bacon with the chocolate chips.

When they’re done, voila!  Buttery chocolate chip cookies with a hint of smoky, salty bacon.  The combination is really addictive actually. 

Try it let me know what you think!  Or just make the candied bacon and eat that by itself!  What other strange food combinations have you tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment