Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wedding Cake: Liz Hornsby

Happy Sunday!  Sorry for my absence last week…I was so busy baking and decorating cakes, I didn’t have time to blog about them!

This week’s featured cake was for Liz Hornsby and Ben Channell (you’ll get to see his groom’s cake next week!).  Liz wanted a simple buttercream cake with a blue ribbon to match her bridesmaids’ dresses and a few simple sugar flowers here and there.

She also chose a delicious combination of vanilla cake, whipped cream and sliced strawberries, and vanilla buttercream – the perfect combination for a summer wedding!  It tasted like strawberry shortcake!

After the cakes were assembled with all their whipped cream and strawberry deliciousness inside, I frosted them with their final coat of buttercream.  I started by spreading the frosting with a spatula and smoothing it somewhat.


My trick to perfectly smooth buttercream is to use a paper towel and a fondant smoother as the final step.  (A little tip: Viva paper towels work the best since they don’t have any texture). 
Lay the paper towel over the cake and lightly rub it with the fondant smoother to buff out any imperfections.  Carefully pull off the paper towel and repeat all the way around the cake.


Liz’s bouquet included roses and callas, so I made several of each out of gumpaste to decorate the cake.  To make sugar roses, you start with a teardrop shaped piece of gumpaste, then wrap gumpaste petals around until you have the desired size. 

I start with one petal…


Then add two more to make a bud…


Then I add three petals to make a small rose…


And I finish it with five more petals to make a medium rose.  If I want to make larger roses, I add another layer of seven petals.

The finished cake was perfectly suited to Liz and her wedding: beautiful, classy, and simple.


Here is the happy couple cutting the cake…


 Check back next week to see Ben's groom's cake...and a challenge!

No comments: