Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Coca-Cola Cake

Happy Sunday!  I made this week’s cake for my best friend’s birthday party.  She collects Coca-Cola memorabilia, so I wanted to make some kind of vintage Coca-Cola design on her cake.  I finally decided on making the top of the cake look like a bottle cap.  Something similar to this…


To make it easier for me to paint, I rolled out a fondant circle and painted that off the cake.  Once it was done, I planned to lay it on top of the cake.  When painting with edible colors, it’s almost like using dye, so there isn’t a white paint.  You just have to leave those parts unpainted…which is more of a challenge than you might think!

 I started with the red background…


I had to be really careful not to paint over the parts that I needed to leave white…


Then I added several colors of reds, burgundies, and golds to the bottle to give it some depth…


Lastly, I painted all the black details


And viola!  Just to brag, go back up to the top of this post and look at the inspiration picture again…see how well they match? J


To finish off the actual cake, I laid a larger circle of fondant on top of the buttercream and crimped the edges.  Then I placed the painted logo on top of that…


The cake was an eggless chocolate cake that I was testing for a wedding next weekend.  Everyone commented on how moist it was, so I think it was a success.  Stay tuned over the next few weeks for pictures from next week’s wedding as well as the eggless cake recipe!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Can you please tell me how you marked out the white bits please? I need to do something similar but don't want to draw on the cake with pencil obviously but need to draw it out somehow before I start painting!

    Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete