Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rubik's Cube Birthday Cake

Happy Sunday everyone!  Last weekend was my sister’s birthday, so I wanted to make her a special cake as my birthday present. 

She is a wiz at the Rubik's Cube, so I decided to attempt a Rubik's Cube cake.  I wanted the cake to look like a brand new Rubik's Cube however, as hers are all “very loved” (as she says):


I tried a new chocolate cake recipe on this one (you never want to try out new recipes on paying clients, so I decided that my family would make great guinea pigs J).  And I have to say, it was an amazing cake – moist, with a tender crumb and deep chocolate flavor.  So, stay tuned as it will probably be my next recipe of the month.

I started off with a half sheet cake, which I cut into squares and stacked on top of each other to make a cube. 

After the cake was assembled, I frosted the cake with chocolate buttercream, then put a coat of cake and icing spackle on to help make the cube smooth with sharp edges.  You can check out my Roller Skate post for more explanation about cake spackle.


My sister doesn’t really like fondant, so I used black modeling chocolate to cover the cake.  I colored some marshmallow fondant for the squares, however.    


Each color was rolled out very thin, and cut into nine perfectly measured squares.

She gave me a “scrambled” cube, so I matched that pattern…….with one tiny exception.  Just to be cute, I swapped two of the tiles, to see if she would notice.   See the two red squares next to each other on the top left-hand corner?


Of course she noticed in about 10 seconds….darn math majors J

Here's one more angle...


She loved the cake and it was a delicious end to her birthday celebration. Happy Birthday, Sis!


 As always, please share my blog with your friends!  Feel free to email me anytime too.  Let me know what you think and what recipes and tips you'd like to see in the future...  Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment