Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Vintage Lace Cake

Happy Sunday!  Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful day as much as I am!  

This week's "cake" is one I made to display at an wedding event this weekend.  I put "cake" in quotation marks, because there actually isn't any cake present here:)

Display cakes are a great way to show off designs, techniques or just sizes in 3D, instead of simply in pictures.  The decorating process is the same as with a real cake - I still use fondant, buttercream, royal icing, gumpaste, and food coloring to make all the decorations - I'm just covering up styrofoam bases instead of cake.

Display cakes are also fun because I get to come up with the ideas for them!  I always have input on the designs of the cakes I make, but for display cakes, I get to pick the inspirations not just execute them.  I had an idea this week that I wanted to make something with lace and brooches, but I didn't want it to look too old-fashioned...and here's the result!


All the brooches are handmade out of fondant and royal icing.  The rose lace is piped using a special technique I discovered a couple of years ago.  Its one of my favorite lace designs.

I'm going to be working on some additional display cakes this week to take to an event next weekend too.  For those of you in Nashville, come out to Centennial Park next Saturday, September 15 from 10:00 - 6:00 for Made in Nashville!  Its going to be an awesome event featuring all things local and benefiting the TN Literacy Coalition.

Happy Baking (or decorating!)

No comments:

Post a Comment