Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Days of Recipes ~ Day 5: Holiday Eggnog

Merry Christmas Eve! 

Eggnog is the quintessential Christmas party drink.  It usually makes an apperance at every Christmas party.  My grandmother still makes it every holiday season and it is delicious, but her recipe calls for uncooked eggs.  I'm not really that picky about the whole raw egg thing, but I definitely felt better when I found an excellent version that thoroughly cooks the eggs.  It takes a little more time to make because of the cooking and chilling time, but you'll definitely be rewarded for your efforts!



I usually make the recipe without the "nog" and let each person doctor it to their liking.  My sister likes hers minus the alcohol, while my uncle prefers "Nog-egg"! :)

Eggnog
6 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1/4 teaspoon  salt
4 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg, plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks

Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Stir in milk, one-half cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Heat slowly over low heat, stirring constantly, until custard registers 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, thickens, and coats the back of a spoon, 25 to 30 minutes.

It will look like this:

Pour custard through sieve into large bowl; stir in vanilla and grated nutmeg. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least three hours and up to three days.

Just before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks and gently fold into custard mixture until incorporated.

Enjoy!


I'll be back on Monday with recipe #6.  I'm taking a break tomorrow to spend time with my family.   Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment