Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sweethearts and Sand Dollars

Happy Sunday!  Since tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, today’s cake just seemed like the perfect one to share.  “What?” you might say, “It looks like a beach cake.”  Well, yes, it is, but it’s the story behind the cake that makes it so romantic.

One of my friends contacted about 3 months before he and his lovely wife’s 15th anniversary.  He was planning a surprise party for their anniversary and wanted a special cake for the occasion.

Apparently, on their honeymoon many years before, they had had several sand dollars airbrushed with the date on which they got married.  So he asked me if I could replicate one of the sand dollars in a cake for the surprise anniversary party.



I though this sounded like the perfect way to mark 15 years of marriage, and I was very touched by how much thought he put into the whole idea.

So, I made the following cake, using the same flavor as their wedding cake.  Notice the detail…I even etched the “star” shape on top of the sand dollar on the cake as well.  I used a air brush machine specifically designed for cake decorating to imitate the original airbrushing on the shells.


Here they are side by side.


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment