Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Recipe of the Month: Chocolate Cake

Happy Sunday!  I hope you have all had a wonderful Sunday!  I spent some time with my family today, so I’m a little late in getting this week’s post up.

Today I share the best recipe I’ve come across for (almost) everyone’s favorite cake – chocolate!  I actually got this recipe from a friend and it is by far the tastiest and most moist…and its easier than most too!

Here are all my ingredients ready to go…


You start by combining all the “wet” ingredients except the boiling water: sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.  Whisk until smooth and creamy looking.


In a separate bowl mix together all the “dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.


Then add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and beat until smooth and there are no streaks of flour, but don’t over mix.

Once everything is combined, SLOWLY pour in the bowling water.  If you add it too quickly it will splash out and make a mess everywhere (not that I know anything about that!)


The batter will be very runny, but it bakes up just fine.  This recipe will make 2 9” round cakes.  Since I’m usually making larger cakes, I double the recipe and bake it in a half sheet pan:


Enjoy!

And now for the actual recipe...
Ingredients
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. vegetable oil
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
¾ c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. boiling water

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Grease two 9” round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
3. With an electric mixer, combine sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients to the mixer.
6. Carefully, pour in boiling water and mix until well blended and smooth.
7. Pour into greased pan.
8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick interested in the middle comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
9. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment