Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gone with the Wind Cake

Happy Sunday!  I hope you had a wonderful Easter!  I took the week off from blogging to spend some time with friends and family.  For brunch, I made a delicious Lemon Berry Trifle with Almond Tuiles.

Yum….creamy lemon mousse layered with fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries, served with crisp almond tuiles. 

Tuiles are a very delicate cookie made from finely ground almonds.  They get their name from their similar shape to Spanish roof tiles called the same thing.


Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

This week’s cake was my absolute favorite cake to decorate.  The client requested a “Gone with the Wind” themed cake.  As an avid Gone with the Wind fan myself, I was excited about this cake from the start.  I love painting as well, so the design was perfect.  I worked together with one of my friends on this project – she did all the baking and I took care of the decorating.


The design on the side is hand painted using edible food coloring.  I combined several shots of Tara from the movie as well as the classic Gone with the Wind silhouette shot.

  
The magnolia on top is made of gumpaste.  Each petal is cut and shaped by hand, then assembled on the cake.  For the center of the magnolia, I shaped the gumpaste, then used scissors to snip the outside to give it some texture. 


The ribbon around the base is a sage green fabric ribbon, so its the only part of the cake that's not edible.

Thanks for checking out my blog!  I hope you are enjoying all my cake creations as well as my recipes and tidbits too!

1 comment: